 Local / Australia / 8280
Re: New sets in Brisbane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 04:59:14 GMT

What are the colors in the Yoda set? I've seen brown, copper green,and some
others, but I can't figure out if there are white bricks or tan bricks for
Yoda's clothes.

Well, based on the WWW, I had thought they were white. When I saw the picture
on the box, they looked off-white and I was wondering if this was a new cream
colour or whether it was just a bad rendering of the white colour on the box.
Then I opened the box and discovered that they are in fact tan bricks. I was
quite surprised; nothing had caused me to suspect they were tan.

However, I think it is a Good Thing as I was wanting more tan bricks.

There are two shades of brown, the regular one (Fort Legoado walls) and a
rusty-orange brown (which I have not seen as bricks before, but I have seen
some accessories in that colour, I think).

And, of course, the other major colour is that copper green.

Like most Lego sets, there are a few random other colours, especially for
interior pieces that will not be seen in the finished model.

I am in the process of building the set at the moment. It does not come with a
base but I felt it needed one, so I am using two of the grey
lunar-surface-with-hills-and-craters variety with the hills at the rear on
either side of Yoda. I intend to put a few spiky bushes and some underwater
plants around the edge to make it a suitably depressing mud/swamp landscape
like in The Empire Strikes Back.

Despite being a non-rectangular kind of subject, there are relatively few
slopes in the set. I was surprised and a bit disappointed as I was hoping to
increase my collection of slopes as a side benefit.

The instructions are also unusual in that they are mostly done as an aerial
view layer-by-layer showing the new layer and indicating the previous layer in
grey, against a grid background. As the model is cantilevered in many places,
it can actually be quite difficult to work out the correct placement of the
bricks on top of the previous layer. I often find that I have to move a piece
that I initially misplaced. I found it useful to mark out the grid edge on my
baseboard so I could count studs as a way of double-checking; I think it would
be harder to build without the baseboard. On the other hand, the highly
irregular shape of the model means that mistakes probably wouldn't be noticed
too much anyway.

Kerry