 Local / Australia / 6805
Re: Train Set 113 Advice?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 11:32:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Edward Cox writes:
Hello. I have just taken ownership of train set 113 - quite an old set but
still a heck of a lot of fun!

Can someone please tell me if this set was 4.5 or 9 volt?

Does anyone have the building instructions (not on brickshelf)?

The set is missing the battery box - does anyone have a working battery box
and wires available for sale? (I'm in Sydney Australia).

Also looking for any extra straight, curved, or cross over/switching tracks
suitable for this set?

Thank you for your assistance!

(When I get all the missing pieces I'll post some photos on my web site.)

Regards,
Ed Cox

http://www.ozbricks.com/macrobots/

G'day,

One of the easiest ways to tell if a train set is 9V or not is to get an
approximate year the set was released...if it was before 1991 then the train
will certainly not be 9V. If the set was releases in 1991 or later then it
will be a 9V train. [Also, the train sets that are 9V are generally set
numbers 4xxx, while the others are 7xxx and xxx numbers, thought there are
some exceptions.]

With the track: although all the pictures you will see that are produced by
LEGO show this train on the blue track with white sleepers, any lego train
will fit on any lego train track as they all use a standard gauge [unlike us
here in Australia...but I'm sure Santosh knows more about this :) ] However,
if you are using a 9V train, then it won't move without being on 9V track
due to the way the motor collects the power from the track. Similarly, 12V
trains need the centre conduction rails to move. (Unfortunately no-one in
LEGO thought to release crossings or points with 9V and 12V conducters
combined...they could have made running with multiple voltages possible and
eased everyone into the new system in '91 instead of dropping one system and
picking up another.) That said, I think the old trains do look nice on the
blue track.

I hope this helps you,

Benjamin Whytcross

bwhytcro@pacificaccess.com.au