 Local / Australia / 4558
Re: Updated list of Service Packs at LA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:21:52 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

Question for the Tech-heads: is this the best way to get supplementary • bits
and bobs for Mindstorms? Or are the expansion sets better value?

IMHO there are only 2 sets to buy:

* RIS itself (which gives you an RCX, 2 touch sensors and a light sensor,
and 2 motors
* Ultimate Accessory Kit (remote control, another touch sensor, a rotation
sensor, a light, and some other miscellaneous stuff) -- better value than
buying those bits separately

Then if you want more RCXs, you might as well buy more RIS sets. If you want
more motors, you might find it more economical to buy a set off the shelf
which has a motor in it (depending on availability, price, and your interest
in that set anyway).

Otherwise, I think you might as well just buy the bits from LA.

I second all of that. And I'd also recommend trying to get hold of a RIS 1.0 -
especially if you're planning to do a lot of programming. The AC power jack is
real handy, and saves heaps on batteries. I still haven't seen anyone say
definitely whether RIS 2.0 will have one of these or not. Here's hoping. And
remember the 2.0 brick is exactly the same internally as 1.0 & 1.5 - the only
difference is the firmware (& I assume the parts list). So you can use the 2.0
firmware in the 1.0 brick.

The RIS gets more and more tempting... is GBs/Myer (at 20-25% off) still • the
best source? Better get saving for the next sale...

There seem to be 3 main places to watch:

* GB/Myer
* TRU
* Dick Smith

but of course you also see them on e-Bay quite often and (occasionally) in
the classified adverts in the local newspapers.

And the trading post. I picked up my RIS 1.0 there for $200.

Regards,

ROSCO