 Local / Australia / 4554
Re: Updated list of Service Packs at LA
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.org.au
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:14:25 GMT

Question for the Tech-heads: is this the best way to get supplementary • bits
and bobs for Mindstorms? Or are the expansion sets better value?

IMHO there are only 2 sets to buy:

* RIS itself (which gives you an RCX, 2 touch sensors and a light sensor,
and 2 motors
* Ultimate Accessory Kit (remote control, another touch sensor, a rotation
sensor, a light, and some other miscellaneous stuff) -- better value than
buying those bits separately

Then if you want more RCXs, you might as well buy more RIS sets. If you want
more motors, you might find it more economical to buy a set off the shelf
which has a motor in it (depending on availability, price, and your interest
in that set anyway).

Otherwise, I think you might as well just buy the bits from LA.

The expansion sets give you more software challenges and more Technics bits
but not more robotics bits. The only one worth contemplating at all is the
Robosports as it contains a motor.

The final item is Vision Command. If you want this, you have to buy the set.
Although it's supposed to be the same camera as Lego Studio, you need the
robotics vision software that only comes in the set.

The RIS gets more and more tempting... is GBs/Myer (at 20-25% off) still • the
best source? Better get saving for the next sale...

There seem to be 3 main places to watch:

* GB/Myer
* TRU
* Dick Smith

but of course you also see them on e-Bay quite often and (occasionally) in
the classified adverts in the local newspapers.

Kerry