 Local / Australia / 4482
Re: assorted Lego gossip (some Brisbane specific, some more general)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 04:39:45 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
<heavily snipped in places, for space>
Q. What's the story with robotics? RIS 2.0 coming soon?
A. Maybe. There's a rumour that they're going to cancel RIS 2.0 in favour of
a new robotics system -- something that will be easier-to-use, one that
doesn't need a PC.

Has anyone heard this rumour from any other source?  It does seem that RIS
2.0 has been at least postponed, wasn't it due out in March?  Yet it isn't
in any catalogues so far.

Q. Speaking of the Net, when are we getting Shop-At-Home here in Australia?
A. It's available now. [We do the "No it isn't -- Yes it is" for a bit, then
he phones someone on his mobile.] You're right. It's not available yet.
Probably another six months, but we don't know if it's going to be run out
of Denmark or London yet.

LA's Consumer Affairs were saying Denmark or US or fully local, don't think
they mentioned London.  The OS options were to be shipped from within
Australia though (i.e. ordering infrastructure there, stock from here).
6 months matches with what they were saying - June/July.

However, what you can do is buy from Toys R Us or
Target in the USA over the WWW; they'll ship to you here in Australia.

????  I didn't think they could/would ship OS...
Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about Claremont (WA) Toyworld?
It points back at Amazon through a local interface including all the Amaazon
help sections which state that it (Amazon) cannot ship toys overseas.  I'm
confused...

Q. What's the story about getting Scala here in Australia like they do in
NZ?
A. Not likely. The guy who was the head of Lego in NZ was a Danish guy and
he got in a lot of Scala thinking it would do as well in NZ as it did in
Europe, but it didn't. They are flogging it off at discounts of up to 80% to
get rid of it.

Well, we got a couple of Scala Service Packs!

Another set you won't be able to get in Australia is the
Tomcat Fighter; it's supposed to be great, the wings waggle and everything.

What's this, does anyone know?

Thanks for passing on the info Kerry.

Deidre
drb@tasmail.com