 Local / Australia / 4481
4480  |  4482
Subject:
assorted Lego gossip (some Brisbane specific, some more general)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 04:21:36 GMT

I went to Myer Indooroopilly at lunch time yesterday and happened to meet a
man who claimed to the Lego rep. So, I stopped and chatted to see what
gossip I could get. Here's a summary of our conversation (usual caveats
about my unreliable memory):

Q. Where's got the best range of Lego in Brisbane?
A. Toys R Us and Myer Queen Street. The Aspley and Pacific Fair Toys R Us
have a slightly bigger range than the Mt Gravatt TRU. Also, look for
Toyworld at Chermside and Carindale, as both are expanding their Lego
sections.

Q. What shops get the big sets?
A. TRU, Myer Queen Street, Toyworld at Robina. And, in future, probably
Toyworld at Chermside and Carindale.

Q. What's new and exciting for 2001? [OK, I knew the answer, but I was
curious about what he saw as "new and exciting"]
A. Life on Mars available now, and Harry Potter coming later in the year.
Q. Harry Potter? Will that be sets or software?
A. Both.

Q. What's the story with robotics? RIS 2.0 coming soon?
A. Maybe. There's a rumour that they're going to cancel RIS 2.0 in favour of
a new robotics system -- something that will be easier-to-use, one that
doesn't need a PC.
Q. But Lego already have the DDKs and RDS which don't need PCs, don't they?
A. Yes, but this would be something new.
Q. If RIS 2.0 comes out, will it be new hardware or just new software?
A. Just new software. There will probably be an upgrade product for earlier
versions. You will probably be able to buy it and download it over the Net.

Q. Speaking of the Net, when are we getting Shop-At-Home here in Australia?
A. It's available now. [We do the "No it isn't -- Yes it is" for a bit, then
he phones someone on his mobile.] You're right. It's not available yet.
Probably another six months, but we don't know if it's going to be run out
of Denmark or London yet. However, what you can do is buy from Toys R Us or
Target in the USA over the WWW; they'll ship to you here in Australia.

Q. What's the story about getting Scala here in Australia like they do in
NZ?
A. Not likely. The guy who was the head of Lego in NZ was a Danish guy and
he got in a lot of Scala thinking it would do as well in NZ as it did in
Europe, but it didn't. They are flogging it off at discounts of up to 80% to
get rid of it. Another set you won't be able to get in Australia is the
Tomcat Fighter; it's supposed to be great, the wings waggle and everything.
Q. I didn't think Lego made war toys?
A. <Shrug> I dunno. It might just be for the USA.

So, there are a few strange stories here. But I guess the Brisbane Lego rep
may not be the most authoritative source of Lego information beyond the
local distribution scene.

Kerry

--
Kerry Raymond, Lady BUG