 Local / Australia / 14092
Re: Sydney Fan of Lego Rumpus
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:45:58 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I think it will be a day of great excitement and spontaneity.
Excellent! I have plans for some truly great spontaneity!

I think a committee should be established to plan the day and an independent
audit committee established to check if everyone has had a good time. I'd
suggest some kind of participant survey before, during and after the event
to gather data on user expectation, experience and post-event reflection. We
will need to assign anonymous identifiers to each participant in order to
gather longitudinal data. Ethical clearance will be required to ensure that
no user suffers physically or psychologically from the survey.

One thing that is gauranteed will be my wifes chocolate cake !!!!!

Chocolate cake, hmm? No, sorry, we need to organise a truly inclusive event
so that no participant by virtue of race, religion, disability or dietary
preference feels marginalised. There may be participants who are allergic or
otherwise adversely affected by chocolate, sugar, eggs or gluten.  If there
will be meat served at lunch, it will have to be purchased from both kosher
and Islamic butchers to cater for all religions. If the cake contains dairy
products, its serving would need to be delayed by 2 hours after the meat for
the kosher participants. Also for those who are vegetarian , there are
issues of whether the containers and utensils used to prepare the cake may
have been previously used to prepare meat. Indeed, even to advertise the
event as a chocolate-cake eating event without also indicating that
non-chocolate-cake alternatives will be available may be seen as seeking to
marginalise or exclude many members of our community.

Also I notice that no arrangements are being put in place for non-Lego
zealots, which again might marginalise or exclude valued members of our
community.

Will the venue be wheelchair-friendly and can you accommodate participants
in an iron lung? Are the widths and gradients of footpaths leading to your
home conforming with the AusRoad Standards?

You clearly have no idea how to organise a spontaneous event.

Kerry