 Local / Australia / 13449
Re: First BUGS meet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Peter Parsons wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond wrote:

However, sadly, I am not sure that I can entirely agree with:

"Since then it has grown and now comprises approximately ?? members."

Actually we haven't met for a while, so I am not sure that a mostly inactive
group can be said to have grown, unless perhaps grown in our inactivity.

The question is "why is it so?". Why did we meet so often once upon a time
and so little now? I think the answer lies somewhat in the fact that some of
the things that we used to do together are now less urgent to us, e.g.

initially we needed to meet to showoff our various little treasures to one
another, but now we've all seen one another's treasures
initially we needed to meet to trade, but now we've done our trading and
bricklink/ebay are very well developed forums for trading across a larger
community
initially we needed to band together to buy from overseas, but now we get a
better range of sets (and better prices) in the shops locally and S@H
shipping costs aren't as prohibitive as they once were, and also we've all
bought everything we need.

Other thoughts?

Kerry

Kerry
That was a mouthfull wasn't it??
Very well put but I don't agree with all of it (democracy in action)
I really believe there are other reasons that we don't gather as much any more
but am not going to spell them out on this forum.

Perhaps we should all try and gather for a gathering quite soon and all talk
about our feelings about BRISLUG as a whole and which way we are heading as a
group now?

It has been 6 years since our conception and perhaps a reengineering session
(like that one) would be a good idea (Gary tune on to loc.au and have a read
will you)??

I was under the recent impression that either Gary or Mark were going to host
one very very soon???

Aaron my appologies for leaving you off the first list my memory gets hazier
each day (must be the blood going through th emachine 3 times aweek)
(Thats my excuse anyway).

Come on guys (figure of speach Kerry) lets kick start this group again hey
remember we were the first to start in Australia lets see how many of all the
members we can get to a gathering.

Well that's my 20c worth sorry to take so long to say it

Cheers to All
(Tim thanks for bringing me back to the fold)
(Kerry thanks for the reason to write)

Peter
I think it was "Space BUG"

I was not an original Bug, nor am I currently a Brislug. I am more an invisible
lurker here in Brisbane, but I would love to become actively involved in the
Brislug group. I have enjoyed all the encounters I have had with Brislugs and
would love them to continue maybe at a higher level of frequency.

It would be great to be involved in some of the brilliant work of the train
group (although I can't build vehicles of any type). Show some of our MOC's,
have a coffee and together dream of a day when we have access to a pick a brick.

Well, I know it wasn't a very constructive message, I probably could have just
written 'I support Brislug' (sounds like a bumper sticker). But you get the
idea. Have a great day, and give me a nudge if I can help out.

Anita