 Local / Australia / 13445
Re: First BUGS meet?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:09:42 GMT

The reason I'm asking is because I'm planning to add BUGS to BrickWiki and
would
like to know the founding members/first meeting details.

If you want to admire Tim's entry, see it at:

http://brickwiki.zapto.org/index.php/BrisLUG

However, sadly, I am not sure that I can entirely agree with:

"Since then it has grown and now comprises approximately ?? members."

Actually we haven't met for a while, so I am not sure that a mostly inactive
group can be said to have grown, unless perhaps grown in our inactivity.

The question is "why is it so?". Why did we meet so often once upon a time
and so little now? I think the answer lies somewhat in the fact that some of
the things that we used to do together are now less urgent to us, e.g.

initially we needed to meet to showoff our various little treasures to one
another, but now we've all seen one another's treasures
initially we needed to meet to trade, but now we've done our trading and
bricklink/ebay are very well developed forums for trading across a larger
community
initially we needed to band together to buy from overseas, but now we get a
better range of sets (and better prices) in the shops locally and S@H
shipping costs aren't as prohibitive as they once were, and also we've all
bought everything we need.

Other thoughts?

Kerry