 Local / Australia / 11823
Re: Studfest [lots, probably 18. Hey that's quite a few for an Australian club!]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.gaming.brikwars
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:17:19 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.au, Richard Parsons wrote:
   Dudes and dudettes, The Sydney and surrounds gang got their blocks in a row today for the first time in eight months, at James’ place in Dee Why (thanks James).

Thanks from me, too.

Welcome, and thanks for showing up. Blocks in a row is a team game.

   They chatted, inspected mocs, agreed upon the range of Lego issues in the

   way that one might expect the generally laid back Studs to agree, and then
played BrikWars for a little over 4 hours.

It didn’t seem like 4 hours. But then, I was winning ;-)

Kudos must go to Pete and Dave who bravely watched the entire thing without falling asleep! Brikwars can be very absorbing, particularly when one has whittled once’s force down to a handful of troops.

   I have over 70 pictures (including about 45 good ones ;-) and will try to post some later on this week.

Ooo pics! Can’t wait!

   For BrikWars afficionados, I note that we played a combination of TL2 and TL3 based around the Napoleonic Wars. My 300CP Prussians and James’ 500CP Austrians against Richie’s 800CP French (with, I think, some Belgians).

Unfortunately, due to an error in timing the Belgians arrived about half an hour after the fighting ceased.

But still looked very spiffy nonetheless!

   After suitably chaotic and ferocious festivities, 2 Prussians made it away with their lives and little else (one pushing the other unconscious on a hand cart)

It is to be noted that Tiberius Flint may have been around, and if so, certainly survived.

   about 2 Austrians made it away, to join up with three Austrian gun crews outside the town (who had been taking tea for most of the afternoon)

This goes to show if you want cannon that are more than emplacements you need to spring for horse and cart to tow them around (i.e. less points for cannon) on the other hand, if you do have emplacements, have some temptation for the enemy to come to you.

   Actually, that was 3 infantrymen and one artilleryman in the town. The other artillerymen had cunningly disguised himself as a Prussian, and was taking tea with the Austrian Artillery. (Heck, they’re all Greek to me).

At some point I assume he overpowered the crew, commandeered the loaded cannon and took aim at one of the other crews.

   We may have stumbled onto a handy balance of size, detail and fun. I think 300 - 500CP might become a feature of future BrikWars. As usual, James did a fabulous job as GM.
Indeed. The army size was manageable (but the armies remained diverse and interesting - who would have thought that the katana featured prominently in the standard equipment of a Prussian cavalier?).

thankfully Brikwars is the sort of game that relies on a lot of handwaving and guesses and a non-adherence to the letter of the law (and a healthy respect for the spirit of the game). That said having players that had some familarity with the system helps.

   We agreed that the next meet, in 2008 if not before, will be at James’ place, wherever that may be then.

Having moved alternatly East then West over the last three 4-year periods a further 4 years will probably see me somewhere in the middle of NSW. But people are still welcome.

   I have a suspicion that we may get together before then. Maybe in June of 2004, unless the etherial national fest gets a lot less etherial some time soon :-)

Writing after the whole MegaOzConvetionThingy posts, etherial seems to be where it is staying. That said, if there’s no national fest in June perhaps STUDS might have a meet and throw it open to interstaters if they wants to be bothered traveling. Not doing anything extra or special mind you, no competions, no organised group builds, just making room for a few extra bods.

   I shall be preparing a lecture based on this battle for the Brickwars session at LUG’OZ 2005 - Defending a Small Town with an 800(ish) Point Napoleonic French Army While Waiting for the Belgians to Arrive.

I will happily sit through this, provided there are both pictures and re-enactments featuring Milla Jovovitch as the French and Scarlet Johannson as the Belgians (substitute with simlar or better quality as appropriate).

James (who is off to give his black coats musket practice and maybe a skill bonus)