 Local / Australia / 11681
Re: Meeting in Sydney (or... learning about Napolean)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:49:24 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, James Howse wrote:
   I’d been fine with that, pending some tips on what kinds of
buildings (and other scenery) to bring to fight around and,
more importantly, someone pointing out what time period
weapons and tactics Napoleanic actually covers. Sorry I know
it’s probably one of those things everyone knows but the
world history I studied petered out at about the end of the
Roman Empire.

Very late 1700s, early 1800s. Depends a bit on whether Richie is keen for us to think that Napoleon is invincible. Later the better is my thought (obviously :-).

Its muskets and cannon, horses and brightly coloured uniforms that scream ‘here I am (shoot me!)’, drummer Timmies and big hats with feathers in.

Tactics are fairly limited to loitering around in nice straight lines emptying surprisingly pointless volleys of musketfire into each other before running headlong at each other to commence the actual winning and losing with bayonets and close quarters musketry. Cavalry charges are fun, and dashing about cutting off enemies’ lines of retreat with horse artillery is considered particularly clever.

Terrain is generally flatish, with maybe a ridge or a bridge (with suitable water obstacle) here and there. Cannonfire drenched masonry makes for good buildings (and cover). I remember we had a BrikWars before where your trees and cottages were perfect for this sort of thing.

Richard
Still baldly going...