 Local / Australia / 11359
Re: Assistance from LEGO to local groups (was Re: S@H catalogue)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 01:42:44 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.loc.au, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
   Things I wish Lego Australia would do: -snip- 2.more work with fan groups in all states
-snip-

Jake and LEGO Direct have experience working with fan groups - LEGO Australia do not (AFAIK).

Now we have a offer from Jake to listen to our ideas, I think the ball is well and truly in our court to respond with a reasonable plan.

I don’t think that a plan will come from the STUDS (I could be wrong, there, though), so it’ll be up to another group planning a public (I presume) event to ask.

LUGOZ/BRICKSMEET 2004 is another possibility for asking for support (although the potential benefits to LEGO are less clear, unless it’s a public (or partly public) event).

The pertinent question here is: What kind of work would we like LA to do with adult fans?

Train exhibitions: Signage, promotional material (handouts, possibly hats and T-shirts for exhibitors), prizes for guessing/finding competitions and advertising (world club magazine).

I think train exhibitions are the only (current) event which could have a real benefit for LEGO (and LA particularly).

Fan partication at LEGO events (ie Big Builds) or contributing models to ‘world shows’ etc might be okay... But I’d be very hesitant about being involved in something like that (leaving unglued models at a public display with supervision and security being provided by uni students just doesn’t appeal to me).

   The situation here in Aus is totally different to the US in that a)we are a much much smaller group b)we don’t have local people involved in things like Ldraw and LUGNET at anything more than a user level, and c)our events are much less like the large meetings/conferences such as Brickfest and more like a few mates getting together to play with Lego over a few beers.

Agree with all three.

   With that in mind we need to generate ideas more approriate to our situation. Trying to emulate what happens in the State will only end in tears.

Personally, I think that trying to get LA’s involvment at purely an adult fan level is a bit selfish.

Agreed.

   If we try to remember that Lego is aimed at kids and come up with ideas to encourage kids to get a lifelong interest in building with the brick LA will jump at the chance - they’d be fools not to. Our role as adult fans could be as volunteers working with LA to hold workshops/events where kids are involved either privately or as part of the school system.

I understand Lego theme parks have workshops for school groups with a decidedly educational bent. I’m not sure what goes on in these workshops, but I’m sure given appropriate prompting and an offer to run them LA would be willing to provide source material and possibly even enough bricks that we could hold some sort of educational event once or twice a year in each capital city.

If we aim to guide kids in expanding the possibilities of the brick it’ll a)engender a deeper love of building with Lego, b)show them that it’s ok to keep playing with lego beyond the age of 12 raising up a new generation of adult fans and c)generate more sales of Lego. In otherwords, everone wins.

Of course it would mean some amount of work on our part, but the rewards would be worth it I think, and merely expecting LA to do stuff for us without offering anything in return is, as I said, a bit selfish.

Good thoughts!

Adieu

Richie Dulin

   Port Brique