 Local / Australia / 11345
Re: S@H catalogue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 04:10:15 GMT

Dredging up an old thread

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
In lugnet.loc.au, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Robert McLean writes:
Hi
just read on http://www.fbtb.net/ about the S@H catalogue as a print copy.
Cna we get that here? What other print materials can we get? and how?
Thanks
Robert (click)

G'day,

Unfortunately, due to LEGO's low opinion of Australian shoppers,

*All* shoppers? Or maybe just some?

Not all shoppers individually perhaps, but certainly all shoppers
collectively. While we now have S@H in Australia (and new cheaper shipping
too), LEGO does seem to have a low priority for, if not a low opinion of,
their Australian market.

I think this is a semantic difference, "shoppers" vs. "market". L A chooses not
to serve the A market the way that you would prefer, for whatever reason. Their
opinion of particular shoppers may be a small factor but is certainly not the
only factor.

The low opinion seems to be indicated by LEGO not making their entire retail
range available to retailers in Australia, not providing Australian
compatible power supplies for train sets from S@H (and happily sent directly
to Australia), and providing us with the inferior 'World Club' magazine.

Or maybe just a very very few who whinge
a lot for no valid reason?

You mean LEGO holds a low opinion of particular individuals?

I am certain that they (that is, individuals within LEGO in various positions of
greater or lesser authority and influence) *do* hold opinions of particular
fannish individuals, some lower, some higher. Those fannish individuals who are
already constructively engaged in working with the company and causing good
things to happen (and these do exist, at least here in the US and in Europe...
consider the Roadshow in support of the Designer sets for instance, which has a
large fan based component) are presumably held in higher regard than those that
apparently (or appear to) only post negative things about the company on public
discussion groups and appear not to do much of anything else (even if they
actually do).

That's not to say that Pollyanaism is the order of the day, mind you.

And doesn't
provide things to certain markets based on these individuals' actions?

Not exactly, no, that isn't what I said. But the converse (that it *does*
provide things to certain markets based on the actions of individuals it holds
in higher regard) I do believe to be true.

The net net here is that I don't think whinging is a particularly effective way
to get things accomplished with LEGO. That's what I was getting at, if not in a
very clear manner. This thread started out sort of whingey (just a little
compared to many others here) in my view, but I admit to a jaundiced eye.

Any particular whinge probably has almost no negative effect, but a consistent
pattern of whinging gives the L A execs a pretty good excuse not to do much of
anything with fans or for fans, unless they are forced to do so by the higherups
(which they might be at some point in the future... here in the US a pretty good
synergy between clubs and the local LEGO company is starting to produce positive
results... presumably at some point that will be noticed and pushed down). Till
then you are likely to get the "what, you want help from us, go away" and "we
can't stop you from showing (implying we would if we could)" responses.

Sometimes first impressions get set even if they're false, or at least not
prevalent, and sometimes a few bad apples spoil it (the working relationship,
not the overall marketing approach) for the rest.

Hope that helps.