 Local / Australia / 11113
Re: BrickMeet 2003 - A quick summary
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 01:54:29 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin wrote:
James organised a MOC competition, the building competition, and the
Brikwars, so I'll leave him to advise the details - except to note that my
bushfire diorama (complete with my Elvis helitanker) scored a prize (which I
think was either for 'Extreme Australia' or 'Best Diorama').

It makes me sound like I was quite busy on the day!
There were two competetions.
The first was a "bring your MOCs along". There was a theme but because it was
announced so late (and was quite vague) It was discarded on the day. Richard and
I went for a wander after lunch and picked out some worthy models to receive
prizes. (Two disclaimers here, Richard was mostly a sounding board, so he
deserves no blame for the way the prizes went and it was a tough call anyway
with lots of good stuff around and only three sets to give away).
Congratulations to Richie for his Elvis diorama (even without Hills hoist), Paul
for his space ships and Teunis for some lovely detail work on his trains. Kerry,
Zac and Michael also deserve a mention for various spaceships and buildings.

The second competetion was an "On the spot build" which I thought was quite fun.
If I was doing it again I'd do somethings differently (like looking at the
peices beforehand and realising that building trucks without wheels is a
stretch). But I think everyone involved had fun. I've forgotten some of the
names (Yes, I was doing that on the day too) of the people involved in the
final, but congrats anyways!

There was some ABS and cash changing hands too, and if one is liquidating a
collection, a Bricksmeet seems like a good place to do it.

After being a bit unsure about this I had a peice that was missing from a set
sent to me within days, So I'm very happy. Thanks! Although I realise that
someone disposing of a collection every BrickMeet maybe quite unusual.

James (who is nearly HP complete)