 Local / Australia / 10699
Re: cross-theming -- Belville takes an expedition to the Orient
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:44:02 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Check out these new 2003 sets, officially in the Belville theme, but with
obvious links into the Orient Expedition theme:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5856

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5857
What colour is that parrot ? Is that a breadstick or are you just happy to...

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5858
Holy levitating turret Batman !

Plus:-
Fairy Island
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5861
Green arches ( 9 I think ) and UFOs hovering

Flower Fairy Party
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5862
The two fairies are so busy tripping around, they let Ted the giant snail
collect the mail, must have plenty of time on their hands.

What a riot of colours! There isn't a Peeron inventory yet for these sets,
but they may well rival the current Peeron set-with-the-most-colours 4723
Diagnon Alley. 5857 Safran's Amazing Bazaar is a particularly yummy set
IMHO.

Did John Safran (Melbourne identity and celebrity bin-raider) design this ?

Given the rapid growth in the middle class in Asia at the moment, I cannot
but wonder whether Lego's expedition to the Orient is deliberately
positioned to appeal to this market. The current sets do seem to have an
Indian influence, and the next releases in Orient Expedition due mid-year
appear to have a strong Chinese influence. Still, whatever the motivation,
with the selection of parts and colours they come with, I say "Bring it
On!".

Also, Lego's recent legal success with the Chinese pirate brickmakers.

pete.w (still awaiting Bileville, the Bionicle-Belville cross-theme)