 Local / Australia / 10261
Re: Imperial Star Destroyer landing shortly in Brisbane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 01:10:43 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

Inside the 4 inner boxes, there are the usual polybags of bricks. The inner
boxes are about 2/3 full, meaning I have received the normal quota of Danish
air. I don't think I could have handled the strain of no Danish air and no
flubber.

I recently opened a http://guide.lugnet.com/set/154 and tried some 20+ year
old Danish air. It seems those Danes have got on top of their air pollution
problem in that time :-)

Having built it within 1 hour, 3 minutes and 22 seconds, which beats all other
reported construction timess, I can say that it is a magnificent set.

If I hadn't already read your subsequent post, I'd have to say that was
amazing, and that you'd achieved a time of nearly 49ppm (parts per minute).

Without sorting, I've recorded rates around 6ppm (reasonably leisurely
building) for a large set (I can go I lot faster for smaller/and or
presorted) sets. Soccer buses (125pcs) can easily be built at over 25ppm.

While Kerry's claimed (and subsequently denied) speed sounds impressive, at
speeds above 45ppm - particularly if that speed was sustained for long
periods - I would be seriously concerned that the heat generated from
friction would lead to distortion of the bricks.

If you were planning to build at such high speeds, it would be worthwhile
installing a cooling system, or at least turning the airconditioning to it's
coldest system.

Of course, at sustained high speeds, builders should consider their on going
health and safety. Have you considered the strains that high speed building
puts on hands and eyes? The noise of quickly searching through a pile of
3000+ unsorted pieces for the next piece every second and a half can damage
hearing. Remember that, at 45+ppm, one mishandled technic peg could easily
take out an eye.

Cheers

Richie