 LEGOLAND / 46
Re: New LEGOLAND park in the works
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 22:01:27 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Brian H. Nielsen writes:
In lugnet.legoland, Mark Herzberg writes:
I've heard the oppisite (www.screamscape.com). Orlando already has way too
much compieition. Seven Disney parks, three Universal parks, two from Sea
World, and those day out expeditions to the two theme parks in Tampa

  Lego's target audience is younger (3 to 12 years old) than the existing
parks (9 to 25 years olds), according to the newspaper article.

  Also, if competition was too much the theme parks here wouldn't have
recently raised their admission prices.

Why wouldn't they? With new attractions opening all the time (most recently
Men in Black Alien Attack) and new multi-million dollar rides being announced
so often ($150M+ SPACE pavilion at Epcot), they can't just stay at those
prices. Even I find it hard trying to plan a trip to Orlando. With ten large
parks, I only go to four or so each visit, though I visit very often, and the
average person does not. Disney thought that with adding a fourth gate, then
people would spend an extra day at WDW. They were wrong, as attendence fell at
the other three theme parks. Even Islands of Adventure had a poor performing
first year (though they are going strong this year). LEGO chose Carlsbad
because of too much compietition in LA. I would love Miami, though I know it
is not going to happen. West Palm Beach would seem logical to me, though a
Screamscape rumour from about six months ago stated they were in talks with
Disney to put a LL park on Disney property, giving Disney a fifth-gate at no
cost to them. How ever it ends up, I just hope it ends up here, Miami,
Orlando, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville or what not, and not Virginia (sorry Virginia
AFOLs). The only advantage I give Virginia is cheaper land. Orlando and Miami
are two of America's top three tourist destination, and give year round
weather.

Brian  (just north of Orlando; 45 minutes to Disney World and the LIC)

Mark (just northeast of Orlando; 250 minutes to Disney World and the LIC)