 LEGOLAND / 44
Re: New LEGOLAND park in the works
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 15:20:26 GMT

"Greg Perry" <supernerd23@yahoo.com> wrote:

"Lego Co., the Danish construction toy maker, is about to initiate talks with
officials in Orlando and in the greater Washington, D.C. area ..."

(posted from Richmond, VA)

I remember hearing that in the early 90's LEGO was considering building the
first U.S. LEGOLAND in northern VA.  According to what I read later the
company decided to look elsewhere after local yokels raised a stink about a
proposed Disney-backed Historyland Theme Park. I guess TLG figured it wasn't
wise to try and start another slightly similar project in an area that was
already riled up.

Even though this was during my Dark Ages, I still had that lingering fondness
for LEGO and remember being quite steamed at the time to think that a bunch of
busybodies had blown the chance for something so cool to be in this state.

I wonder if they'll bother looking on the VA side of D.C this time.  But who's
kidding who? - it will end up in Orlando with the rest of IT.  Oh well...

...But one can dream!!! DC needs some more nice attractions like this. And we WAMMIES have
proven through the Store at Potomac Mills that we can spend a whole bunch of money and
that there is an interest in this area!

...you can go back to ignoring me now...

wubwub
stephen f roberts
wamalug guy  (http://wamalug.org)
wildlink.com