 LEGOLAND / 432
Re: A 'possible' LEGOLAND Park in Illinois
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:42:08 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Ted Godwin wrote:
Really? So that is why all Disney vacation packages I have ever seen offer
a day-trip bus excursion to Disneyland.

The what now?

LOL

Of course that was supposed to read "LEGOLAND".

I figured as much, but you're talking about vacation packages.  I've been to
California at least six times now, twice visiting Disneyland.  Never has a
vacation package been involved.  When we went to Disney, we just bought tickets
from the front desk where we were staying (you get a slight discount that way)
or we bought them at the gate.

Anyways, the Disneyland website does not offer any vacation packages that
include any mention of LEGOLAND, so I'm not sure what your source is.  And is it
an optional LLCA excursion, or is it always built in as something you're paying
for whether you choose to go or not?  That's a key distinction, as an optional
side trip indicates that it's something that most people aren't going to care
for, while if it's built into every package it's likely something they don't get
enough complaints about to make it worth letting you opt out of.

Regardless, LLCA isn't a very kid-friendly park (though they've started moving
in that direction).  The rides, such as they are, tend to be fairly short (one
is so short that they always send you around twice), and there aren't very many
of them to start with.  Miniland was clearly intended to be the prime
attraction, and while the models are very well-designed, the sub-tropical sun
just beats the snot out of them.  Red bricks in particular end up looking a
particularly nasty shade of pink after too much time in the sun.  And since
there really isn't any shade over Miniland (trees are pretty far away, as
"giant" leaves will ruin the effect, and growing roots will ruin the
foundation), it's got to be unbearable to be out there in the prime tourism
months.  Both of my visits were in February, and it's still hard to stay
hydrated at that time of year.  Disney parks, on the other hand, tend to have a
lot of enclosed walkways with misting systems leading up to most of their rides,
and probably as many sit-down attractions as LLCA has attractions period.

No, when you're starting a theme park, you primarily care about the summer
months.  That's when all the kids are out of school, and a lot of people look to
arrange big family vacations.  Disney parks may be able to stay profitable
year-round, but the average warm-climate theme park is going to just be biding
time through the dead season (i.e. winter), and being able to shut down
completely might not be such a bad business setup as you seem to imagine.