 LEGOLAND / 429
Re: A 'possible' LEGOLAND Park in Illinois
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:37:24 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Ted Godwin wrote:
Except that there are fewer tourists in winter. Not a problem if the local
area is densely populated enough but still seems a risky proposition.

There are fewer tourists visiting LLCA in winter as well, and it's halfway
between LA and San Diego.  I'm pretty sure all the Disney parks experience the
same thing.  You know, kids and school and all.  I'm not really in a position to
judge, however, since the only time I've ever been to California that wasn't in
January-March was for an August wedding, and we didn't really have time to do
the tourist thing.

Really? So that is why all Disney vacation packages I have ever seen offer a
day-trip bus excursion to Disneyland.

The what now?

Clearly LEGOLAND, CA works fine as they are expanding the park (again) with
a new hotel development.

They are _considering_ the addition of a hotel.  Until the economy improves,
they won't break ground on it.  Also, you might be interested to know that
Merlin opened a second theme park adjacent to LLCA a few years back, so there's
incentive to try to turn the Carlsbad area into a full vacation alternative.  Or
at least give people an option to stay there for a second day so you can admit
them to both parks instead of just one.

Maybe there is a reason, "there is no major theme-park located right in the
Chicago area". In fact, that is kind of my whole point.

Doesn't seem to hurt Ohio.  They've got several theme parks including Cedar
Point (world record holder for most roller coasters in a single park).  Turns
out there is also a Six Flags north of Chicago, so I was wrong about there not
being a major theme park in the area.

The biggest problem I can see with putting a LEGOLAND in the Chicago area is
that depending on exactly where it is, it could easily kill the Discovery
Center.