 LEGOLAND / 431
Re: A 'possible' LEGOLAND Park in Illinois
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:50:05 GMT

In lugnet.legoland, Ted Godwin wrote:

... Oh, and there is no major theme-park located right in the
Chicago area.  Major population center, plus major tourism draw, minus any
nearby competition, equals pretty good idea in my book.

Stop for a second and consider what you wrote.

Maybe there is a reason, "there is no major theme-park located right in the
Chicago area". In fact, that is kind of my whole point.

A point that would be equally valid for Orlando before Disney, Cleveland before
Cedar Point, etc. In some cases a park opened because land was dirt cheap and
could be bought for a song (Disneyworld, especially after problems with
Disneyland). In some cases there were population centers with no local
attraction, and so somebody started one (almost everybody *except* Disney). In
some cases (Branson MO) you have a community that despite being away from
population centers, or having a history... decided to jump-start an industry.

I respectfully maintain that "climate" does not seem to be *the* overwhelming
dominate factor here.

Look, I visited Chicago once in College and it seemed like a nice
place... there are serious hurdles that would have to be overcome
to build a LEGOLAND park there.

I strongly suspect that people who are considering this decision... might not
more about it than us. Just a guess.

--
Brian Davis