 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 816
Re: Lego blew it AGAIN...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 16:15:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Sandlin writes:

Now, I realize that the screenshots were most likely shown in Photoshop
windows because the graphic designers who work for DK Publishing
were probably working on Macs. They should've trimmed off the window
edges, IMO. Still, it's terribly ironic that even Lego designers work on
Macs, but TLC still refuses to release software for Mac.

All your analysis shows is the small minority of publishers who lay out books
like this still use macs, where as the average member of the public (i.e. Lego
customers) use PCs. It should not surprise you that the boxes, manuals,
adverts and graphic content of PC software is authored on Macs.

There is nothing ironic about this at all. What is shows is that technology
has little to do with market success. Macs dominate the publishing world, not
because of any superior technology, but purely because that industry, as early
adopters of macs WSYWIG approach, has effectively 'standardised' on macs and
it is very difficult for any other platform to penetrate it now. This
demonstrates the power of owning a market rather than just possessing better
technology.

Unfortunately, the customer market is dominated by PCs. Not cause they are
better, but just cause wintel and its partners did a better job of marketing
them. Outside of the USA, macs are almost non-existent in the consumer market.

regards
lawrence