 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 5342
Re: Super Chief will be ready for prime-time: a trick to make it work.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 13:10:54 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

On old 9V blocks I only noticed rubbing wheels against frames when they were
really worn out. A freind of mine has a train in a shoop display under
permanent drive. Every few months he has to replace the wheel blocks. They
wheel blocks use a needle bearing (= a sharp tip at the end of the metal axle
runs in a fitting slot in the siding parts of the wheel blocks). Where the
needle is drilling in the plastic, there will allways happen some wear. the
more the longer it runs and the heavier the load is.

What is kind of weird is that I don't think (and I could well be wrong) that
the needles at the axle tips are actually doing anything, bearing wise. I've
looked at both black and grey wheelsets and it looks to me like all the
bearing action is happening in the central part where the steel axle is
press fit into the retaining section. Many of my wheelsets have significant
side to side play. While there is a notch in the side frames to clear the
needles, they are not engaging in any bearing surface.

I speculate that the needles on the axles are there just to make it easier
to press fit the wheels onto the axles. As I said I might be wrong but check
your wheelsets and see. It's true that there is more side to side play in
the grey ones though.

P.s.: Klaas Meijaard wrote me yesterday and told he had a clear evidence why
it is the frame, which is wrong shaped. He will post pictures as soon as
possible, but he ist still busy with cleaning up his house after the Legoworld
in Zwolle....
So I am highly interested in the results of his investigations.

As are we all, please keep us apprised!