 Trains / 18145
Re: Super Chief will be ready for prime-time: a trick to make it work.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:08:52 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D'Urbano writes:

<snipped most of your excellent analysis>

I think I share you're feeling that I don't want this to turn into a costly
problem for TLC.  I'd hate to see the cost of solving this wheel sets issue
(if there is one) costing TLC so much money that particular projects (new
set ideas) are canceled or TLC sours on the idea of doing more detailed
trains stuff.  I can't say how thrilled and amazed I am with these Santa Fe
sets.  They're just beautiful (Mr. Mathis you're amazing!).  I built them
for the first time this past weekend and it felt like one long Christmas
morning.  Non-LEGO friends have visited the house and not realized at first
glance that these were LEGO sets at all.  LEGO Direct is doing so many
things right (IMO), such as these Santa Fe sets, creating MOC sets, 10030,
reissuing 8460, etc.  I wouldn't want a bad experience with these wheel
problems discouraging LEGO Direct from doing more of any of the great things
they've been doing.  Hopefully their third-party supplier can pick up some
of the cost if it turns out to be their fault.

I think this is the crux! LD is indeed doing many things right. Let's keep
digging to see if we can help analyse this and come up with a way for LD to
fix this efficiently and cheaply, because, as you say, we don't want them to
sour on new projects (not too likely  I don't think) or spend excess effort
on solving this one so that it slows down new projects noticeably (I do
think that's a danger)...

I largely agree. I'll have to check, but did Jake not indicate that this was
all caused by an unauthorised change made by a supplier? If this is the case,
then the supplier should be compensating TLG for the cost of making things
right [assuming a decent contract exists]. What this boils down to is: TLG
needs to deicide what is worth more:
a) The good will of customers
b) The good will of a supplier who makes unauthorised changes to designs.

Thanks for a great post Paul!

Indeed.

Scott A