 Trains / 18151
Re: Super Chief will be ready for prime-time: a trick to make it work.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:51:41 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:

Ok, I have now 12 wheel sets in front of me:

************************+
4x from a MISB Metroliner 4558 from ca 1991...1994
Never run a single meter so far....

Measured for all 4 wheel sets (no bigger difference noticable between sets):

Metal axle lenghth: 44.4 to 44.45 mm
angle at tip of metal axle measured against length axis: 45°
Diameter of axle: 1,95 to 2.0 mm
Diameter of axle where wheels are placed: 1.80 to 1.85 mm
width of wheelspace in axle: 4.05 mm
distance between wheels: 33.3 to 33,35 mm

outer wheel diameter: 23,00 to 23.05 mm

bearing effect is supposed to be placed in the tip.
Nearly no sound while moving wheel set under weight of my long stretched arm.

************************+
4x from a 4563 heavy used, bought on aftermarket out of kids hands.

Measured for all 4 wheel sets (no difference noticable between sets):

Metal axle lenghth: 44.50 to 44.6 mm
angle at tip of metal axle measured against length axis: 45°
Diameter of axle: 1,95 to 2.0 mm
Diameter of axle where wheels are placed: 1.85 mm
width of wheelspace in axle: 4.05 to 4.1 mm
distance between wheels: 33.25 to 33,3 mm

outer wheel diameter: 23,00 to 23.1 mm

bearing effect is supposed to be placed in the tip. (much wear in the frame
counter part to the tip, some little wear at the counterparts above the
cylindric part of the metal axle between between the wheels, but near to them.
Some periodic sound (2 times per 1 rotation) while moving wheel set under
weight of my long stretched arm.
1 wheel touches frame at both 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position: frame got
worn out at that points.

************************+
4x from limited 10020 Santa Fe - so far unused.

Measured for all 4 wheel sets (no difference noticable between sets):

Metal axle lenghth: 44.45 mm
angle at tip of metal axle measured against length axis: 45°
Diameter of axle: 1,95 mm
Diameter of axle where wheels are placed: 1.8 mm
width of wheelspace in axle: 4.1 to 4.15 mm
distance between wheels: 33.30 to 33.35 mm

outer wheel diameter: 23,00 to 23.1 mm

bearing effect is supposed to be placed in crosspieces between the wheels
(visible wear (shining surface) in the frame counter part to metal axle
cylindric part.
At some angle per rotation the sound is less than at most time. (Again while
moving wheel set under weight of my long stretched arm).
Partly one, partly both wheels are touching the frame at both 10 o'clock and 2
o'clock position: frame got (a little) worn out at that points (only a little,
because the test time has been only 10 times back and forth rolling....)

************************+

So far no differences to be found. The frame looks more or less the same, BUT
the wall thickness at the point, where the wheel might touch is

for 4558:   0.9 to 0.95 mm
for 4563:   0.95
for 10020: 1.1 to 1.15 mm

I am not sure if this small thickened wall-part may be responsible for all the
trouble, but it sounds not impossible to me.

(or restore the direct link till it gets moderated)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ben/misc/none-quality/wheel_sets_oldandnew.j
pg

Kind Regards,

Ben