 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4212
Re: Lego assortiment in small stores
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 06:51:19 GMT

Jean-Marc Détraz wrote:

Thank you guys very much!

I really appreciate your comment. But it is really discouraging to hear that
TLC is not willing to change.

No large company is willing to change unless it has numbers that show it
  will be in its best interests (i.e. profits) to do so.

My concern is that their best products aren't available in stores!
WHY WHY WHY???

As great as Lego Direct's products are, there's no data yet to show that
they would move off the shelves at Walmart. At least not to the extent
that Star Wars and Bionicle do. The fact that some of the Legends series
  (Pirates, Wild West) HAVE appeared at some large retailers suggests
that they are researching whether demand exists for such sets. But
remember that LEGO Retail and LEGO Direct are, for all intents and
purposes, two separate companies. To change that will require lots of
beauracracy and internal politics. And that is invariably a slow process.

Who benefits from this policy? NOBODY and certainely not TLC!

On the contrary. Not taking untested risks has definite benefits for
LEGO. Bet your bottom dollar that they don't make a move without being
able to demonstrate to the board of directors why it will make a
gazillion dollars. Not to say that they don't get it wrong sometimes,
but it has to at least LOOK like it's right.

--------DEAR LEGO-------  Can we hope for common sense???????

A good little retailer could easely order around 2K of good sets and resell
them in NO time, and so on!

They can do this now. They just can't order from LEGO Direct's product
line (which is where the trains all are). In order to allow all the
little retailers to order from LEGO Direct, that division would have to
hire a bunch of account managers (and train them). It's just not as easy
a solution as you might think. Not that it couldn't be done. Just that
they have to prove they can make money at it before the company will
commit resources.

That's my guess anyway.

Rick C.

In lugnet.lego.direct, John Barnes writes:

As far as I remember, this exact question was asked of Brad Justus at the
recent BricksWest event. His response indicated that the company was
unwilling to allow retailers to "cherry pick" the Lego product line, and
thus it was not possible to allow one retailer to just sell trains.

Of course, I'd love to hear about a change in policy :)

JB