 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3551
  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) Richard is correct in questioning this, because it isn't true. LD can do just about anything it wants, but within certain boundaries. Brad could initiate a new theme, but the process to do that is long and time consuming (years). They could (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) Yeah, but in this case I am trying to raise the specter of element molds now gone, and not necessarily worry about "new" elements or themes. There seems to be at least an assertion that LD will not reproduce molds for elements from the past in (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) While I see your point, Richard, I think the crux of the matter, and perhaps the ultimate answer to Brad's original question is this: In order to keep development/marketing costs down for LEGO Direct, rather than trying to figure out what (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) 15K sounds cheap-- more like twice that. Remember, LD is *direct*, and doesn't have the luxury of a huge market (like retail). LD can release a set with no new parts and could sell merely 1,000s and be profitable, but a new theme needs to sell (...) (23 years ago, 24-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) John and I were both there and heard Brad say the same thing (unless John knows something I don't, which may well be true) but apparently we have different interpretations. I took Brad's comment about "no new molds" to mean that it was part of (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) Maybe you know something I don't! Are you referring to Brad's visit to the GMLTC (which I *missed* because I was out of town?) but apparently we have (...) I am not disagreeing with Steve-- it isn't relevant, really, from where the policy (...) (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)

  Re: what makes a legend?

(...) Yep - I assumed you were referring to the same event, but obviously not. (...) We can hope!! (And, buy, to encourage the hope in a concrete way. ;) Steve (23 years ago, 25-Oct-01, to lugnet.lego.direct)