 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3551
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:08:16 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Steve Demlow writes:
Lego Direct cannot, as a matter of policy, create new molds for its sets,

Pardon me, but how do you know this?  I'd like to see a reference for this
statement.  Has Brad, or someone else, stated this emphatically somewhere
before?

-- Hop-Frog

Richard is correct in questioning this, because it isn't true.  LD can do just
about anything it wants, but within certain boundaries.  Brad could initiate a
new theme, but the process to do that is long and time consuming (years).  They
could develop new molds, but that process is expensive.

No, the reason LD *chooses* not to create any new molds is so that they can
bring products to market with a minimum of expense and time to market.  The
beauty of the LD plan is that producing different colors for existing molds is
no problem; and with minimal overhead, sets can be brought to market without the
worry of recouping huge investment costs.

Add to that the Direct aspect (eliminating retail) and you have a formula for
success that hopefully will make Billund sit up and pay close attention (as I
think they already are).

That is not to say that LD won't *ever* pursue such endeavors in the future (new
molds, new themes), but initially it is trying to attain maximum profitablity
through the marketing of existing parts *by choice*.

-John