 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3559
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 04:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Richard Marchetti writes:

Yeah, but in this case I am trying to raise the specter of element molds now
gone, and not necessarily worry about "new" elements or themes.

There seems to be at least an assertion that LD will not reproduce molds for
elements from the past in order to rerelease a Legend set.  I think this is
a really wrong way to think about this product line -- it should absolutely
be about bringing old elements back from the dead.  Classic space helmets
that can double in a recreation of the yellow castle -- why not?  Monorail
motors and track that can be used first in the Legend line and elsewhere
later on -- why not?

I am not very pursuaded by the idea that a $15K cost in mold making prevents
any of this.  Frankly, I'd prefer to push in the direction of bringing back
some older elements.

15K sounds cheap-- more like twice that.  Remember, LD is *direct*, and doesn't
have the luxury of a huge market (like retail).  LD can release a set with no
new parts and could sell merely 1,000s and be profitable, but a new theme needs
to sell 100,000s to be profitable.  So what would you rather have? Dozens of
reissues with no new parts, or 1 with a few authentic remolds?  The bang for the
buck simply isn't there; not enough people care about *authentic* reissues, and,
in my mind, rightly so.

Questions: Did they remake the maiden hat for 2000 or was the old mold still
available?

I don't know that.

Can we speculate that other molds from that same period are
still available?

How would we or even Brad know unless each element was researched to find out?

We are playing at this answer game for Brad with very insufficient
information as to the manner in which they decide these matters.  I think
they could at least throw us a bone about the subject.

I don't think so, Richard.  The reasons given by Brad here and elsewhere seem
convincing to me.

-John

-- Hop-Frog