 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3560
Re: what makes a legend?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 05:15:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
LD has a mandate. That's "direct to consumer". It is not "retail". You can
fault the organization of the company if you like, or you can hope that if
LD is successful, LD type thinking will catch on elsewhere. But saying "go
sell these sets in stores" (as you have) means you are asking LD to take on
Futura, and take on the mandate of what Retail does. That may well be a
political battle that Brad cannot yet win (if he even would want to engage
it!!! Which I doubt.).

   <and later>

Me, I want to help LD succeed in every way I can, as I see it as the little
engine that will drag the rest of the semi-inert spaceship that is TLC where
we want it to go.

   That's been my reading of the subject.  LD has to go to the
   feeding trough as an intruding tendril of the company, rather
   than as its lifeblood--in a sense, it's a shoot off of the main
   vine that continues to get stronger, but still can't dictate
   to the rest of the company.  It's the little dynamo, fueled
   by direct interaction with and recruitment from the AFOL
   community.

LD has a budget. That budget, I speculate, includes a few dollars for new
colors of existing parts (yes, this is not free), but almost certainly does
NOT include dollars for new colors never seen before. It almost certainly
does not include new parts.

   I can agree with the first and the last statements, but I'd
   say that the presence of a new color (Dark Red) in the Rebel
   Blockade Runner is a pretty clear indication that new colors
   are at least possible for LD, if still uncommon.  And are those
   parts printed, or are they stickers?  That would also require a bit
   of new printing design.

   (And what's with those 1x4 plates that angle outward to 2x?  I
   have never seen those anywhere before!)

LD has gotten permission to design a few new sets under severe cost
constraint, I speculate. LD has gotten permission to bring back some sets,
again under severe cost constraint, I speculate.

   We'll almost certainly never get a really clear idea of LD's
   balance sheet.  That said, the operation is tiny in comparison
   to Futura, and the impression I've gotten from everyone I've
   spoken to--including LD people--is that LD took coaxing to
   launch, and continues to require coaxing and energy input from
   its team to exist, expand, and fight for resources from within
   the company.  The day may come when a mold is reconstructed--
   there's no way that they couldn't be, as each surely has
   a whole series of drawings and numbers on file--but the dollar
   signs and the organizational inertia don't warrant it at this time.
   But time does change things--considering LUGNET just had a big
   ol' 3rd birthday, think back (for us old-timers) to rtl and atl (I
   was only a lurker then!), and how far things really have come.

   That said, I think that wishing and dreaming and, most of all,
   ASKING for these parts is absolutely crucial to helping overcome
   what limits currently exist.  The only thing as important one
   can do is support LD as a consumer--something I don't have any
   trouble with whatsoever.  (That's why, whenever Richard would
   run around screaming "Cypress trees!  Cypress trees!  My kingdom
   for cypress trees!" I thought it was a *good* thing.)

   Um, all of that aside, I'm busily looking through my wish lists,
   and seeing what's out there that fits my "want" plus "useful"
   lists.  I've been delighted so far, and I have no reason to
   expect that it won't continue.

   best

   LFB