 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2243
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:07:06 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Walsh writes:
As an analogy, the company I work for (Mentor Graphics) has a fairly large
user group (MUG - www.mentorug.org).  MUG provides about a dozen forums for
our customers to discuss with each other, trade tips and tricks, bash us
(which they do well), and other things related to the use of our software.
Mentor employees are welcome to post in the forums although few do.  There
are a myriad of reasons why employees don't post which I won't go into but
our customers constantly ask why don't participate.  They want us to.  They
want information from the source as opposed to third hand.  I try to keep up
with our user forums and I post from time to time, usually when I see
something stated that is clearly incorrect.  I have found that addressing an
incorrect statment as a Mentor employee tends to limit how convoluted issues
end up when the thread dies out.
Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot

To further your own analogy:  Why don't you use your work e-mail here?
Probably because LUGNET is part of your "home life" and not your "work
life".  Your employeer may (or may not) want their name associated with
LUGNET.  Your employeer may even forbid you using your work e-mail for
personal reasons.

In a TLC employee's case, his "home life" and "work life" both involve LEGO
products.  But there are cases where an employee may post an opinion that
may be read as fact and vice versa.  But "forcing" TLC employees to "state"
their capacity (work vs home) when posting we avoid any confusing and
possible legal issues.

Todd, if you read this:  Good job!  I understand your motives perfectly and
applaud you for taking them.  It had to be a difficult decision and one that
you've probably thought about since LEGO Direct showed up here.

Mike
-----
Mike Faunce
mike at faunce dot com

(Note that I'm using my personal address)