 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2224
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 16:22:29 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:

[...]  Yesterday's events were certainly a catalyst, however.

Could you please point in the direction of "yesterday's events"?  I
think I missed it, and I would like to see just what is being
discussed here.

Thanks,

Fredrik

Take a day off and a brew-ha-ha erupts!  I just read through the thread
using this link:

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=386&t=f&v=a

I prefer a news reader interface but don't subscribe to lugnet.admin.nntp -
discussions are too hard to follow via the web interface for me.

Anyway, here is my $0.02 FWIW.

I don't understand nor do I agree with the decision to limit the presence of
TLC employees.  I personally look forward to their posts and welcome their
input.  It doesn't matter to me whether it is their own personal viewpoint
or an official position from TLC.  It is data and it usually has a high
level of interesting content.  One of the reasons I read LUGNET is to read
interesting content regardless of author.

To date I haven't seen any evidence that any LEGO employees have abused
their posting privelidges on LUGNET.  The reminder announcement of the train
contest didn't offend me.  It wouldn't have bothered me if it were in the
.trains group either.  I thought the announcement of brown bricks and Ft.
Legoredo set availability was nice of them to do.  Someone at LD gave the
LUGNET faithful first crack at some inventory.  Recognizing their loyal
customers is something I would like them to continue doing.

As an analogy, the company I work for (Mentor Graphics) has a fairly large
user group (MUG - www.mentorug.org).  MUG provides about a dozen forums for
our customers to discuss with each other, trade tips and tricks, bash us
(which they do well), and other things related to the use of our software.
Mentor employees are welcome to post in the forums although few do.  There
are a myriad of reasons why employees don't post which I won't go into but
our customers constantly ask why don't participate.  They want us to.  They
want information from the source as opposed to third hand.  I try to keep up
with our user forums and I post from time to time, usually when I see
something stated that is clearly incorrect.  I have found that addressing an
incorrect statment as a Mentor employee tends to limit how convoluted issues
end up when the thread dies out.

Based on what I have read, only a couple of people are supportive of the
decision to limit TLC's involvement.  The rest of the community is either
opposed or doesn't care.  IMHO, anything that throttles TLC's involvement
with LUGNET and/or its consumers is a bad thing.  I put the decision to
limit their involvement in the bad thing category.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot