 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 2166
Re: Why do Lego rip off UK customers ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:50:00 GMT

Have a chat with Quentin Wilson. He got things moving for the UK car-prices
rip-off. Organise LEGO shopping trips to the continent (or Ireland, slightly
cheaper than Holland, which is similar to Germany. Don't know about other
countries). ;-)

Duq

"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:GA2xv7.EsD@lugnet.com...

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message

The market sets the price. Retailers will charge just as much as we are
willing to pay.

Absolutely
But I dont have to like it. And we shouldnt just accept it.
If no-one complains then guess what happens - the prices will go up even
more.

Consequence

1. I dont buy new lego - not at retail - wait for sales, end of range, or
from a trader in Weston Super Mare who sells sets for about 40% off at a • car
boot. (but he only has a limited range, I dont live in Weston, and he cant
get big sets)

2. Lego is fast disappearing for toy shop and department store shelves in
the UK. I cant believe that Lego's sales and market share is not falling • in
the UK. this is not a good trend.
Notice that places like Argos, and Entertainer hardly stock lego now - so
dont expect any big reductions next sale time - notice that even
thetoyshop.com has cut its inventory drastically.

3. Lego is perceived as expensive - it has never been cheap, but parents I
talk to think its darned near a luxury good now.

4. you can sell half as much at twice the price and make the sames • revenue -
but it doesnt keep those expensive factories employed

regards
lawrence