 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1502
Re: NEW 2001 sets (Scuplture Dragon! and HTO stuff among)...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general, lugnet.year.2001, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 12:06:11 GMT

I don't think that these things are great value, in terms of brick count,
but I'm delighted that they are being produced.
While I love Technic, trains, etc..., with their special pieces, I like the
back-to-basic-bricks approach for the sculptures.

I have the mini-fig, for my daughter for Christmas, and Liberty is my
Christmas present.
I ordered the dragon yesterday evening.

I am not creative enough, or am not prepared to put enough time into being
creative enough, to design such models, so I'll (reasonably) happily buy
them.
I hope they don't come out too often, or my budget will become seriously
stretched.

I would dearly like the Star Wars collector series models, the Technic power
puller and the silver champion, but will wait for the sales for these.

I've had the sculptures for about a month now, and am very excited about
starting to build tomorrow. :-)

Merry Christmas,
Jonathon

Larry Pieniazek wrote in message ...
In lugnet.lego.direct, Huw Millington writes:
it's also available in the UK shop, price 80GBP.

We've now seen three of these large scale dealiethings.

I wonder how well they are doing? That is, what are the goals of these, is
it opportunistic sales (do it because they're relatively easy to develop • and
since they use mostly basic bricks, relatively low cost production),
something to build brand awareness (these would tend to get displayed, I
would think) or something else entirely?

Myself, they kind of leave me cold. But I don't have space to display
everything I would want to display even from my own designs, much less my
current collection, and I don't see them as an economical source of bulk.

++Lar