 LEGO Company / 3584
Re: Dear LEGO Company,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 19:34:23 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Patrick McFarland wrote:
   John Gerlach wrote:

   In lugnet.lego, Patrick McFarland wrote:
   #1) One feature I would like to see is allowing people to “sell” their #works through Lego Designer, for, say, 5% or 10% of the selling price.

This would allow a community to quickly grow, and also allow Lego to use and sell designs and make a profit, where otherwise they wouldn’t have designs people want. Lego can’t fill niche areas, but individual builders and designers can.

I’d just like to say this might be a major nightmare. I have painful visions of thousands of low-quality models that you’d have to page through to find the occasional gem.

Thats with anything, though.

   If you had a direct link that you could put on a website, that would be different. For example, I could see a train club having a particular model on their layout, with a link from their website to where people could buy it. If the model was good enough, it might be a good way for clubs to make some money to cover operating costs.

This was the method I actually had in mind. I’d be very nice to allow the builders themselves to market the product instead of Lego needing to... well, Lego wouldn’t even have to care. They’d just have to ship the product.

I, on the other hand, could make an entire “product line”, fully marketed from my website with, say, other third party products (such as posters and tshirts from Cafepress or Zazzle).

JohnG, GMLTC

You could just buy your own LEGO Factory designs, mark them up, and stick a Paypal button on your website. And S@H shipping is so fast, you could have “just-in-time” inventory.

Admittedly the CafePress model is much nicer, but I don’t see TLC doing it.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations