 LEGO Company / 3580
Re: Dear LEGO Company,
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 16:57:33 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Patrick McFarland wrote:
Todd Thuma wrote:
Clipped for length

Lego has numerous ways out of getting out of their mess, so to speak.

#1) One feature I would like to see is allowing people to "sell" their works
through Lego Designer, for, say, 5% or 10% of the selling price.

That was briefly mentioned at BrickFest last year (and I mean briefly, as in a
passing reference). There was mention of keeping track of sales of LDD models,
and if one was popular enough, the builder would be contacted. I don't know what
has happened since, but the idea is in their minds at least. And you can sell
your work through LDD - you currently don't get a percentage of a selling price.

This would allow a community to quickly grow, and also allow Lego to use and
sell designs and make a profit, where otherwise they won't have designs
people want. Lego can't fill niche areas, but individual builders and
designers can.

The growth is happening anyways - the LDD gallery is constantly expanding, and
to a certain extent, the market forces are working so people are buying either
what they are thinking is neat or not buying at all.

On the other hand, community expansion driven by profit is not what I would term
as constructive.

Also, following with this theme, I want the entire stock of Lego's bricks
available for sale to be able to be purchased through LDD. That means
expanding the palette ten or fifteen fold, and allowing more minifigs.

That's a nice idea for all of us, but that requires managing all of that stock
somewhere. I do know of expansions that will be coming, but the entire palette
is problematic.

The last thing you want to do is limit creativity, that only frustrates
potential builders.

Ah, you're one of *those* :-)? I tend to think the opposite - creativity doesn't
happen when you have all the resources to do a task, but only a limited number
of resources. Anyone can make a space shuttle in hundreds of parts - try doing
it with less than thirty. That's why I really enjoy micro building - it's  a lot
like LEGO origami.

#2) More kits for adults. I don't have the statistics infront of me, but I
bet AFOLs outnumber children customers. Do large complex constructions.
Works of art. UCS Star Wars is a good start, like the large ISD and the
Death Star II.

You missed on that - If LUGNET is any indication of the AFOL mambbership, then
we are definitely outnumbered - BZPower has 30,000 registered members
(congrats!), for example. And the traffic through LEGO.com is tremendous, and
it's not all us.

I'd like to see a return of the hyperdetailed model series that was produced
in the 80s who's name I'm forgetting at the moment.

Model Team - there are some sets that are heading that direction, like the
roadster Craetor set, and some technic sets that will be out soon.

#3) Compete with Megablocks instead of ignoring them. They are dangerous to
Lego as a competetor, and Lego's lack of popularity in Japan and other
Asian countries is not a good thing at all.

There is a definite presence in Japan for LEGO, and they are actually more
agressive there than here - for example, they have contracts with a candy
manufacturer to make combo candy/LEGO sets. They also have a retail operation
that is different than LEGO Retail here. Also, the builders in Japan are there
and pretty strong in their own right...we don't see much beyond the BrickShelf
accounts, but even there, there are displays and meetings going on that are
pretty impressive...so to say that LEGO is unpopular in Japan and Asia is a
little inaccurate.

Megablock's new Gundam line is very interesting, and I, for a small moment,
even considered buying one, even if to just see how it worked. Apparently
they're just using the joints that Exo-force copied off of MB, instead of
Bioncle-type joints, so it stopped being interesting.

But its the first time I've ever even considered buying an MB product, and
I'm a hardcore AFOL to the end.

I have bought a couple MB items to see what they are like and I have been
consistently disappointed by them in one way or another. Most of the time it's
the construction (five part dragons? YUCK) and overspecialization actually take
the construction out of the MB items.

So I think the Exo-force line should be rebooted, and setup with real highly
detailed Anime-styled mecha, instead of the rejects from Mechwarrior
painted with random Kanji it has now.

-
so what's stopping you? Build and post!

So yeah, either one of these three, or a combination of these three could
easily help Lego along. I'd like to see Lego return to the glory that it
was in the 80s.

LEGO is getting there with the Creator sets - and that is only one of the things
it will be doing. The Group is very interested in working with the community, as
the success of the NXT MUP (Community program) has really made an impact.

Joe Meno
Editor, BrickJournal Magazine

Also, if anyone in Lego is interested in any further ideas I have for #3,
feel free to contact me.