 LEGO Company / 2270
Re: Old color bags still available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:27:13 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Manfred Moolhuysen wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
   In case anyone is interested, there are still PLENTY of the bags of the old color bricks and plates in both North America and Europe.

Wow, I’ve read a few very quick and IMHO badly founded conclusions in the answers to this post, so I feel the need to share the wider picture with you.

I must point out that, at least in Europe, there was a highly competitive alternative source. In the same period, all the Pick-a-Brick shops in the LEGOLAND-parks had large amounts of classic light gray and dark gray elements in their assortment. A sustantial part of European AFOL’s have at least one location within reasonable distance, and they probably prefered the Pick a Brick shops because of the following reasons:
  • a larger variety of elements available
  • prize per weight is more economical as the assortment bags
  • one can compose his own optimal mix of elements instead of the fixed ratio’s in the bags
Last time I was in the park, I’ve bought as much classic colors as I could carry, and I know that many other AFOL’s I’m in contact with, got theirs from the parks also. This might have diffused the picture in such an extend that you can’t conclude the classic colors where a non issue.

It would be interesting for TLC to compile the figures of classic color sales through the Pick a Brick shops, and these would be take into consideration also before someone draws any harsh conclusions. That does’t stop me from feeling a bit sorry for Jake, maybe he didn’t expect that classic colors were available throught the Pick-a-Brick shops on such a large scale.

With friendly greetings, M. Moolhuysen.

The old colors have been available at US PaB locations as well - at least at Nyack, Paramus, and now Tysons Corner.

Marc Nelson Jr.