 LEGO Company / 1593
Re: Jake's To-do list
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 19:37:56 GMT

In lugnet.lego, James Wilson wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Mark Bellis wrote:
   We need to know: 2. Why the chosen new colours are less realistic than the old ones, and indeed debatably incompatible?

Maybe this is just me, but how are the new colors “less realistic”? Realism is in the eye and imagination of the builder - we lived with yellow “skinned” minifigs for many years; now people are complaining about the new, “more realistic” skin tones. Not the same as the old ones, yes; less realistic, no.

James Wilson
Dallas, TX

Old brown = wood New brown = chocolate A lot more real things are wood brown than chocolate brown. We’re not all going to make Lego chocolate bars!

Of the three new colours, new light grey is IMHO the easiest to adapt to. It doesn’t make existing colours look silly like the other two do.

I’m not in favour of any change of skin tone from the original yellow. Tan might be a better colour than pink for faces, assuming that no special colours would be invented for faces alone. Still, real people vary infinitely in skin tone so it will always be impossible to get a match for everyone. IMHO there has always been something special about minifigures being different. They create the fantasy element of the model, and having faces totally different from any real person is a good part of that. I haven’t bought any sets with pink figures in, and nor do I intend to. I thought “Oh dear, another case of pandering to the licensing agreements” when I heard about the pink faces. I should think they’re more expensive to produce than yellow ones.

Mark