 Harry Potter / 796
Re: 4707 Hagrid's Hut complaints....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 02:02:58 GMT

TLC HAD to cut costs on HP sets.  think about it: they introduced more new
and original elements at one time than they have ever done in the history of
lego.  And tons of them won't be able to be used for other themes (Hagrid,
for example).  So with that in mind, they had to cut costs somewhere, or
else the cheapest sets would be up near $12 a pop.  I'm not saying I LIKE
the cut corners they took, but it is a trade off: Flimsy roofs for new
elements.

KEith

From: "richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com>
To: lugnet.harrypotter@lugnet.com
Subject: 4707 Hagrid's Hut complaints....
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 00:53:34 GMT

Hey Y'all:

Does anyone else think that the origami-nightmare roof ABSOLUTELY sucks?

I pre-folded the flaps and they still did not go easily together when I was
placing the rubberband at the tip.  Sometimes these plastic sheet elements
make sense, and sometimes it's just TLC being cheap.  One look at some of
the smaller HP sets with the cardboard backgrounds will tell you which is
the case this time.  I'm quite disappointed, and I don't even read HP
books.
This roof sheet element is just not a very good value -- I can't see myself
using it for anything.

And what irks me is that the folding concept of the rest of the structure
is
interesting -- Quite Interesting -- it just needed something much sturdier
for the roof.  I would have preferred 2 half octagon roof elements, or even
8 individual plastic roof elements that could have joined at the top with a
single stud and a new element to cap it all off.  Something, anything, but
what they did instead.

Blech!

The purple wizard guy's face is poorly printed in that the printing is
placed too low on the face -- you'll have to raise his head up the neck
shaft in an almost floating manner to make it look good with the beard, so
that the spectacles appear to rest on what would be his nose (look at the
box, BTW, TLC must have had the same problem -- what's more, I think they
chopped off the back of the wig element to make the cape look better! Shame
on you, TLC!).  The grey hair is an interesting idea, but not in
conjunction
with a cloth cape -- which it squashes on the backside.  Anyway, this
figure
is kind of a mess.

The best part of this set is the little dragonette -- which just rocks!  I
only wish we now had green wings for the larger dragons (I don't have any
larger dragons out right now but I am recalling trans-orange, black, and
red
wings only).

Hagrid himself is kinda cool -- sort of a Rasputin figure if you needed
one.
And he's not quite a creator figure either -- he is somewhat unique.
Further, seeing what they did with Hagrid makes me cringe when I think what
they might have done with the Chewbacca minifig -- which only looks good if
you add a 1x2 brown brick in the middle of him, not perfect but better than
stock.

I'll have more to say later on some other HP sets.  The sad part is that
most of these sets are accessory packs for a builder, not really
interesting
of themselves -- although the Hut had potential that was squandered.  If
you
doubt my opinion -- just look at the HP train set!  What a joke!

Do not buy these sets expecting a building pleasure, these sets are just
not
that cleverly designed.  Trust me, these sets are accessory packs -- buy at
good prices only (a  BOGO 50% or better sale is advised).

-- Hop-Frog (the lego curmudgeon is alive and well inside of me -- I know,
because I ate him!)