 Harry Potter / 803
Re: 4707 Hagrid's Hut complaints....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 14:04:27 GMT

In lugnet.harrypotter, Keith Kirchoff writes:
TLC HAD to cut costs on HP sets.  think about it: they introduced more new
and original elements at one time than they have ever done in the history of
lego.

If this is true this is the first I have heard of it.  While there do seem
to be some new elements, I am very wary of the arguement that having to make
new elements is some kind of deal maker or breaker on set design for TLC --
I have said it before and I'll say it again: TLC is in the business of
making little shiny plastic bits, that's what they do, it's the cost of
doing business.  If you don't believe in or agree with my assertion, explain
the Creator or Jack Stone lines to me -- both have many new elements also.
Basically, I don't buy the argument about new element costs being a factor
when they could have done something very like what Troy did to make a better
roof.  Someone had to design that Origami mess of a roof, and then they had
to manufacture it -- they could have designed something better and
manufactured that instead. Frankly, they could have used the old
half-octagon cone element from castle and just made a smaller hut, and then
they could have designed a Hagrid more like the SW Chewbacca...

...we could go around and around like this.  I just don't like what they
turned out as a finished product, and I am sure I am not alone.  On sale
these sets will be great, at full price these are very expensive accessory
packs.

More and more I wish they'd just give us the bricks in bulk -- having to pay
a premium for this kind of set design is galling!

As it stands I think I will decline to do any further set reviews for this
line, I'll probably just post a list of cool elements we could discuss --
the new elements are a lot more interesting and positive a thing to discuss
than why these HP sets suck and the ways you can improve them.  I don't
happen to want a lot of HP themed stuff on display anyway.  I've already
begun to mix and match the elements into my own characters too.  So whatever...

...and let's face it, the product line to have latched onto was "Lord of the
Rings."  I happen to never have read these LOTR books, but I gather they are
quite good and the film previews I have seen look epic.  HP will just be
some Disney-esque drivel shoved down everyone's throat until we will want to
just puke our guts out.  LOTR I think has the possibility of truly creating
a sense of wonder in its audience as it taps into more deeply rooted
archetypal material.

I guess we'll see...

-- Hop-Frog (It's a frog, you HP toadies!)