 Harry Potter / 158
Re: Points of Discussion.... [SPOILERS: Goblet of Fire]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.harrypotter
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 14:24:03 GMT

* Steve Bliss (steve.bliss@home.com) [010509 09:07]:
[ Regarding telling Fudge and Dumbledore about the death eaters at
  the end of Goblet of fire ]
Oh, that's right.  Doh!

I had forget about it too, till I read it again two weeks ago.  I
sat through most of the ending thinking: "Tell Dumbledore, now!"

Previously, I thought Fudge was just incompetent.  After book 4, I'm wondering
if his problem runs a bit deeper...

Lessee....he either:
a) Is in denial.   Which is possible because he *has* been a bit
   dense in the books. examples: gesturing because he didn't think
   that the foreigners at the beggining (at the big world cup) could
   understand english.
b) Is actually malicious.  Which is possible because JKR has been
   very good about having bad guys that promote and protect Harry
   till the last moment:  Scabbers, Mad Eye (the morphed baddy), and
   the teacher with the turban in the first one.
c) Is a polititian.  I'm not sure how this would work out, and I
   suspect that it might be hard for JKR to do something as subtle
   as have someone who does some bad things, without being bad per
   se.  I mean, even Snape, who is the closest thing to this is
   painted OUTLANDISHLY bad, though he doesn't actually do anything
   bad (no, points and grades don't count).

I think C is little too Japanese.  English and American books don't
usually like having bad guys not turn out so bad and good guys
turning out not so good.  That's something you see a lot in Japanese
stories, but rarely in Western stories.

Westerners seem to like absolutes or near absolutes.

I'm not clear if B or A would be more likely.  Since as you pointed
out, he sure left Dumbledore and Harry at the end in a rather
purposeful way.  He definately isn't under Dumbledore's sway
anymore, though.

Ciao!

--
And always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said, "A truck!"
-- Emo Philips

The Doctor What: Need I say more?                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                                                   KF6VNC