 General / 9141
Re: Mindfest Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:57:42 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Tim Courtney <tim@zacktron.com> wrote:
Cool.  From hearing some of the rants about the childrens' behavior, I'm kinda
glad I didn't have to deal with that stress concerning my models.  If I came,
I definitely would have brought a bunch....

I want it to be clear that the vast majority of the kids there were
_awesome_. Very intelligent and mature.

I would like to second this.  Although it may have sounded like we were ravaged
by a bunch of brats it was really only a couple of kids causing 90% of the
"Kid" problem.  Most of the kids there were extremely mature, intelligent, and
well behaved.  Alot of these kids were smarter then I am know I think.  I was
blown away by most of their creations.  Truely A+++++ stuff.

A lot of the "problem" people were in fact the so-called grown-ups.

True enough.

Eric Kingsley

One more consenting opinion heard from:  Almost all of the kids were
absolutely amazing.  Personally, more than anything, I lived in a
perpetual state of panic because I've been indoctrinated to think that
kids are going to prod, push, pull, etc.  I saw people standing right
alongside an AT-AT, looking at something else, and I could always
picture them turning quickly and a backpack or tailcoat or something
swinging out and knocking into ... ugh, I don't want to think about it!
But it never happened.

It was a good exercise, actually.  I think I only spoke to people
twice.  The rest of the time, no matter how tempted I was to say "Be
Careful", I bit my tongue.  I'm glad I did, too, since it was more in
the feeling of the place ... hands on, no monitoring, etc.  Besides, I
adopted the mindset that the most important thing to do was to see where
all the pieces went if it did fall.  I knew I could put it together
(that's the fun part, isn't it?  I know *I'm* already getting restless
without a current project underway, and it's been less than a week since
I completed the AT-AT) again, and if somebody did knock it over, well,
what better object lesson for all involved is there?  Part of this was
lesson-learned from Friday.  During our setting up, some kids were
playing with the AT-ST on the floor in the corner.  Now, as Eric
mentioned, I can toss it around because I know where all of the weak
points and strong points are, and I subconsciously compensate for that.
These kids - well, did not.  There was breaking happening everywhere.  I
let it go, since I didn't yet know how to handle it.  When it came time
for me to attend to its damage, I was amazed!  Of all the destruction I
had seen waged on it, nearly all of it was fixed perfectly!  I think I
spent less than a minute finishing off some points that weren't quite
right.

So during the rest of the event I watched, held my breath, gasped,
anticipated ... but never saw anything too bad happen.  Two thumbs up
for the mindfest kids!

PLus, consider this:  We had over 150 minifigs posed over a 24 sq. ft.
area, at least.  There is no way we were able to monitor all of it all
of the time, or even for the majority of the time.  Yet, when we sorted
everything out two days later, every minifg is accounted for.  Now
*that* is inspiring.

Long follow-up, eh?

shaun :)