 General / 76
Re: Speed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 19:55:24 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
Alex Wetmore <alex@phred.org> wrote:
This wouldn't change any of the control that Todd has over the groups.  As
far as lugnet is concerned the caching server just looks like another • client
and has the same control and properties as any other client on the system.

Right, but as it is Todd has some little bit of control -- and can log --
who posts and reads. And since this _is_ his project, I assume he wants to
keep that. (Certainly helps with the spam problem.) Otherwise, why not
export lugnet.* to all of usenet? Most servers these days pick up any
hierarchy they can.

Some people (at least myself) are reading the news through a proxy/caching
server though, so his logs aren't going to be 100% correct.  He knows this
in my case, since I was one of the people who asked him to make all of the
groups under lugnet.* (otherwise it was a pain in the butt to proxy).

Logging who posts is easy, and he could do that even if the lugnet.* was out
on the internet.  He'd just have to keep track of the From: lines on posts
to lugnet.*.  I don't know what NNTP software here is using, but most allow
you to insert filters into the posting path which could do this sort of
stuff.

I think the reason for not exporting to Usenet is the same reason for not
mirroring most mailing lists to Usenet.  Smaller lists/servers tend to get
more serious users and a greater sense of community.  Just making it harder
to find and use the list makes it harder for the list to be abused or
drowned in questions which would otherwise be in a FAQ.

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
Yuck.  That takes away one of my favorite things about news here.
Instant access to other people's posts.

Yeah, but with a small news network, delays would be minimal -- nothing • like
getting from one side of Usenet to the other.

With a proxy/caching system there would be no delay.  All post commands
would be proxied directly to Todd's machine, so you'd see new articles
instantly (or close to it).

alex