 General / 70
Re: Speed?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 16:35:35 GMT

Matthew Miller wrote in message ...
Todd -- are you open to the idea of creating an actual LUGnet news network?
This would be good for people in far-flung places, and reduce _your_ load.
I realize that it causes issues with centralized control, etc., but as long
as you only allow good, known servers into the network....

The easiest way for this to occur wouldn't require any work on Todd's part
at all.  Someone in Europe could install a caching NNTP server (such as
nntpcache or dnews) and set up lugnet as a parent server.  The way nntpcache
works the first person who read any given article would wait for it to be
downloaded over the link to the US, but everyone else would get it directly
from the european server instead of the US server.

This wouldn't change any of the control that Todd has over the groups.  As
far as lugnet is concerned the caching server just looks like another client
and has the same control and properties as any other client on the system.

alex