 General / 7014
Re: An aside on the "Plagiarism" thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 12:06:54 GMT

Actually, it does make sense to "copyright" your designs.  Let me explain:
By placing a copyright notice on your webpage, you indicate that the
original content (i.e. your creative ideas) is your intellectual property.
Anyone who does not ask permission to use your exact model or significant
parts thereof is not only a total jackass, but in violation of American
Federal law.  And I do believe that the international copyright laws follow
along the same lines.  By copyrighting your items, you're not saying, "No
one can use any of the concepts or ideas involved!"  What you're doing is
protecting that truly unique part of any project -- your original ideas.

To copyright a MOC/webpage/whatever, all you need to do is insert the
following statement (I'm using the @ for the "C within a circle" because
it's too early in the AM to figure out how to get the symbol inserted!)
somewhere in the piece:

@ Year, Firstname Lastname.  All rights reserved.

Your item is now copyrighted.  Now, if you wanted to be a *true* American
and sue the little plagiarist, you would need to actually register your
copyright before beginning legal proceedings.  That costs money, and isn't
really necessary unless there is a problem that may be going to court.

Copyrighting something doesn't mean people can't share; what it does mean is
that we need to give credit where credit is due.

Sorry to get so lengthy!
Beth Reiten

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

One of the reasons why I publish some of my models on the net, other
than boosting my ego, of course, is to share my ideas with other
people.  If someone got inspiration from looking at my models and tried
to make something slighlt different, I would be very happy.

If someone copies an entire design and say that they made it themselves,
I would say that's a bit rude.  But using constructions inspired from
other person's design is perfectly acceptable, in my opinion.  It makes
no sense to copyright a way to put together bricks, just as it makes no
sense to copyright a way to put together words to form a sentence.

Whereever I find it appropriate, I try to link to other people's
creations when I have been inspired from them.  I think this is a nice
gesture, but it is probably not needed.

Fredrik