 General / 6914
Re: An aside on the "Plagiarism" thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:16:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Sproaticus <jsproat@io.com> wrote:
[...]  Other modellers should be careful using these kinds of
arrangements without plagiarizing them, IMO.
So if I want to have a bard holding a lute or other stringed
instrument I should find another way of doing it instead of going with
the awesome method Tom created?
Or are you saying if I do use Tom's method I should note it?

The latter.  If you use his method, you *should* note it.  However, we're our
own enforcement here, so if you don't want to give credit, you don't *have*
to.  It'd just be more polite to Tom; and once the audience checks out what
else Tom made, they'll get even more of a show.

I can
see the sense in that, and I can also see it getting quickly out of
hand, or causing someone who thinks I copied their method of doing
something getting pretty ticked if they see Tom getting credit for his
without them getting credit for their idea.

There's obviously a certain level of maturity that needs to be exercised here.
We could just as easily start arguing "out of the 102,981,500 ways six bricks
can be fitted together, these four ways are mine since I found them."  Getting
back to the guitar example, say I got those piece arrangements from Tom,
whether or not he copied them from someone else.  That's the extent of my
responsibility, to give Tom credit for the idea.

What if it's later revealed that Tom got the idea of the guitar by seeing such
an instrument in real life?  (1)  I'd change my credit for it then, assuming I
wanted to change it at all.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Personally, I think it's just the result of a spamcake-induced
hallucination.