 General / 6309
Re: An aside on the "Plagiarism" thread...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 20:38:56 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Leese writes:

Having seen the length Plagiarism thread that's been running
on .general lately, it led me to thinking...

At what point - in your own opinion - does getting inspiration from
another person's model become copying it?  Supposing you see
a novel way of connecting two pieces together - this happens to me,
typically with TLG sets that demonstrate a new idea.  I can't think of
one offhand, but I used to use the 8x4 plate car base in the same way
each time until a new model showed a new way of thinking.

I suppose you could say that a model "Draws on inspiration from Mr Smith's
model," and that it resembles somebody elses, or shows a strong
Martian influence...

I haven't been able to see any of the models mentioned in the Plagiarism
thread, so can't comment directly, but how much room is there for developing
an idea?

What do you think?

David Leese.
The models weren't like or similar to another model, they were exactly the same
model.
Greg " Is it true that BURPman gave Timmy rabies?" Majewski
citrusx__@yahoo.com
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/1888/