 General / 6500
Re: do red minifig heads exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 18:50:09 GMT

Gary, one more thing I've noticed about the heads, there are really 3
different types.. if you look at some of the older solid stud ones, they
are more squarish... the edges aren't as rounded.. I'm not sure if they
came between the 2 you mention in type 1 or just after it.. before the
ones with the "peace" symbol in the stud... I could probably check if I
could find some of my faceless nonmovable figs.. though they are packed
up right now :(
If you already knew this, just ignore me.. everyone else does :)

Gary Istok wrote:

Thanks Mark,  I started that RTL thread about 7 months ago.  And it was due to
that 277 Fireplace set, whcih has 9 minifig heads (4 black, 5 red).  And all of
them are in the old "Type 1" minifig head style (no hole in top).

It is interesting to note that the 1x1x1 "fat" rounds (minifig head pieces, made
1973 - present) and the 1x1x1 regular rounds (made 1956 - present) have
undergone an evolution over the years.  I've discussed this many times already,
but I'll keep it brief:

1x1x1 (Fat) Rounds:

Type 1 - (1973 - circa 1992) - These first came out in the minifig "stiffs" of
the early 1970's, which had no faces.  Starting in 1977, with the advent of the
minifig as we know it today, the "head" pieces started having printed faces.
Without printed faces, these came out in several colors (yellow, red, black).
With printed faces, these came out only in yellow.  The word "LEGO" is printed
on top of the stud.

Type 2 - (circa 1993 - present) - These are the newer version where the word
"LEGO" on the stud top was replaced with a hole with a "3 prong"  bar inside.
These are available in probably all colors.  Most of these pieces have a printed
face.

Gary Istok

Mark Koesel wrote:

However, Selcuk, those were the old type of minifig head without the
slotted hole in the stud on top of the head.

For the true purists, AFAIK, there are no sets with the more modern
slotted head in red.  Of course they do actually exist; I'm sure
there are tons of them at the Lego factory as we speak that are not
now and will not ever be printed.  So I guess it depends on your
definition of 'pure'.

BTW, there was a thread on this topic awhile back in RTL.  I think
we established that the heads (ignoring printing) were available in
all the "common" solid colors, and also dark gray.

Selçuk <teyyareci> <sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote in message

Ben Gatrelle wrote in message ...
I think what Christopher was asking about are bricks that are one color • with
no printing, like the yellow and black he mentioned, and the clear ones I • am
aware of. I have personally never seen solid red heads with no printing, • but I
am always amazed at the variety of pieces I have never seen.

Red ones are exists in 277 fireplace set and the indians set from the same
era (I don't know the set number)

Selçuk

Ben Gatrelle
ben.gatrelle@bigfoot.com
http://home.att.net/~bgatrelle/legopage.htm

In lugnet.general, John Morgan writes:
In lugnet.general, Rose Regner writes:
Yep!

   Minifig heads also came in trans. orange (UFO), and clear.

Eric

Also trans yellow, blue and dark grey(insectoids i think)

John

Christopher Masi wrote in message • <37B1E6EC.FD457F@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu>...
I know that plain yellow and plain black minifig heads exist, but I • have
no idea if the minifig head brick comes in red. I checked the Lugnet
inventories, but minifig heads are not organized by this criteria. In
fact, the black minifig heads from 4558 Metro Liner are listed as
classic smiley faces. I guess there could be a smiley face there, but I
never looked that closely!

Thanks all,
Christopher

--