 General / 6278
Re: Flex System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 1999 03:37:11 GMT

In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller writes:
Greg Majewski <citrusx__@yahoo.com> wrote:
Can someone please direct me as to what the Technic Flex System does, and how
it works? Thanks!

Hi Greg
    you can find a set of pictures of the "flex System " elements via Jim
Hughes Web pages
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/t_registry.html

In some models, the flex system is used for the steering linkages. They simply
put a cable inside a hose and then anchor one end to the steering knuckle at
the wheel. In the middle is a double cable link with a hole in the center. This
is attached , in some cases to a "cam" piece which is rotated by a shaft to the
"steering wheel". They don't actually use the cable sliding in the hose in this
instance. Another set, which might give you a better viewable application, is
the barcode multi set # 8479. This  set uses the flex system to close a grab in
the front of the truck.  You could consider this application to be similiar to
a bicycle brake or gear shift cable. The housing is anchored and  is shorter
than the internal cable so you can get the "movement" at each end. If you
happen to be lucky enough to live in Europe, you can order the flex system
pieces through the S@H services there. Otherwise you are limited to finding
Sets that include the flex system as part of the model. one of the discontinued
technic helicopters had some for controlling the  main rotor, the f1 racer(i
think) used it in the steering also. And of course the barcode multi set. I
happened to be lucky enough to pick up some old shop at home catalogs about
1994 I think and they had a flex system that was used to give rigidty to taller
technic beam structures.
   I hope this helps : )
    John " yes I know I can't type/ learned how in chat rooms" Morgan
<grin>

A lot of the decent-sized technic cars (Indy Storm, for example) use this
for their steering mechanism. I haven't ever used it for anything else.