 General / 6631
6630  |  6632
Subject:
Distribution in Europe (was Re: Flex System
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 10:26:21 GMT

John Morgan wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Eric Brok writes:

There is no full-blown LEGO Shop At Home in Europe. *Only* the spare parts
selection can be ordered by each national distribution center, however.

Eric Brok

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the info. Having only recently discovered shop@home, I made the
assumption that Lego would have similiar distribution around the world. I • now
see that isnt true. So Lego relies on set sales only thru the retailers in
Europe?( OR other countries for that matter) Anyone have ideas about the • reason
they dont support this service?

Think the other way around. Selling your product via stores is the regular
thing overhere, and LEGO started in Europe. But when they approached the
vast US market they found it hard to have the full selection in every toy
store, so established shop@home to get a flying start. (My assumption).

In Western Europe there seems to be no need for such a distribution since
the store channels are already established.
FYI in holland TLG has always had contracts with toy stores stating that
they were *obliged* to carry the full selection or not carry LEGO at all!
Otherwise, most shops would only carry the smaller set because they make
more turnover.
As a side effect, LEGO hasn't been available in discount stores or
supermarkets.
In recent years however, this policy has changed, making toy store owners
mad as hell because some large scale discount stores now occoasiionally
carry LEGO sets as well, albeit only the small ones they buy in bulk and
sell easily.

Eric Brok